Jannely Espinal is the author and founder of The Fashion Buffet, a fashion and lifestyle blog offering a mix of styles, trends, and culture designed to inspire women of all backgrounds. Jannely brings a fresh perspective to fashion blogging, influenced by her Latina roots and being raised in a multi-cultured community. Here, Jannely shares her top style tips for easy summer dresses…
Summer is the perfect season to wear dresses. Dresses are versatile and easy to style, something we’re all looking for during the hottest months of the year! This season, keep an eye out for these ten trends to follow when picking out the perfect dress:
1. The Long-Sleeve Mini Dress. For a sophisticated and feminine look, choose dresses with thigh-high hemlines. Keep it short but sweet with long sleeves and floral prints. A lightweight fabric with ruffles or fringes creates the perfect youthful attitude.
2. The Ruffle Dress. Ruffles create movement and drama. Choose dresses with different ruffle layers and cascade to show a romantic vibe. The off-the-shoulder element echoes a soft silhouette ad girlish charm.
3. The Slim Dress. This dress style emphasizes the female body and adds a lady-like mood. Choose dresses that have mid-calf length and place emphasis on the contours of the body. This will also make you look taller and thinner!
4. The Chemise Dress. This simple and practical dress is so easy to wear. Choose ones with gingham prints, crisp cotton, or soft silks. Also, try pairing this dress with tennis shoes or flats for an easy weekend adventure.
5. The Asymmetric Dress. Generating an innovative silhouette, the asymmetric dress gives off a glamorous vibe. It provides a contemporary edge with soft cuts, and is great for fancy events, or any time you just feel like dressing up!
6. The Fit & Flare Dress. Fitted on the waist, relaxed on the bottom. This type of dress accentuates the body and adds symmetry. Try styling them with belts, boots and even sandals.
7. The Lace Dress. Lace is sophisticated and a timeless fabric. Lace dresses can be worn any time of the day and come in different variations to provide elegance to any look.
8. The Sheer Dress. For a more relaxed and edgy look, wear a sheer dress. Sheer dresses are great for statement looks. You can layer them over bathing suits, shirts and even shorts. The delicate material combined with embroidery details creates a playful yet refined look.
9. The Kaftan Dress. If you are into maxi dresses, the kaftan dress is perfect for you! It’s loose, bohemian inspired and artfully crafted. You will look whimsical in this piece yet still feel comfortable wearing it during the summer. Try a kaftan dress with embroidery details and different color combinations for a fun addition to your wardrobe!
10. The Beach-to-Bar Dress. A loosely cut dress with layered pieces will work well from the beach to the bar. Contrasting hues and bright colors are this season’s trends, and their minimalist aesthetic works effectively for different settings, which is perfect for this kind of dress.
Which of these dresses was your favorite? What’s your go-to dress for the summer? Let us know in the comments!
Thanks to Jannely Espinal for contributing this piece.
For more of Jannely’s advice, check out her Instagram and fashion blog:
Blog: The Fashion Buffet